Heating Cost Calculator
This heating cost calculator will help you find the least expensive way to
heat your home. It may also give you a good idea as to the most economical way to heat your hot
water and dry your clothes.
1) The default Fuel Unit Costs with the "*" are an average price of the fuel in New Hampshire updated May 6, 2013.
2) The field for "Fuel Unit Cost" can be changed to your local prices.
3) The "Efficiency of Heating Unit" allows changing for unit location. Units that are located in the living area are usually more efficient than the default figures due to less loss of heat from uninsulated basement walls.
4) After you make a change hit the "Recalculate" button, to return to the default values hit the "Reset" button.
5) "Fuel Types" that are underlined in blue are links to listings of New Hampshire fuel sources or information on the fuel.
6) ** Heat Pump efficiency is measured as Coefficient of Performance (COP). A baseboard electric heater has a COP of 1 or 100% efficiency. Depending on system design and performance geothermal heat pumps in the New Hampshire area have an average COP of about 2.75 (275%).
Source: An EESE Board Presentation by Dick Henry showed an average New Hampshire COP of 2.5 (250%), it is felt that this may be on the low side.
Calculate your homes heating index
Here is a
great tool to determine your Home Heating Index (HHI), which is a benchmark of how efficiently heating fuel energy is used in your home.
High HHI values may qualify your home for weatherization services or other money saving solutions.
Works for New Hampshire zip codes only.
How to find what you appliances use for electricity
Here is a great tool for measuring what your appliances are using for
electricity and find out what appliances are actually worth keeping plugged in.
Simply connect these appliances to the
Kill A Watt™, and it will assess how efficient they really are. The large LCD
display will count consumption by the Killowatt-hour, same as your local
You can calculate your electrical expenses by the day, week, month, even an entire year. Also may check the quality of your power by monitoring Voltage, Line Frequency, and Power Factor. Now you´ll know if it is time for a new refrigerator or if that old air conditioner is still saving you money.
The unit is available from many Internet retailers including eBay.
- Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW)
- Biased Data Selection
- Cooling Degree Day (CDD)
- Cooling Year
- Heating Degree Day (HDD)
- Heating Year
- Moving Average
- Trend Line
- Urban Heat Island (UHI)
- Weather vs Climate